[webkit-dev] Should we ever change style guidelines?

Peter Kasting pkasting at google.com
Wed Dec 9 16:52:22 PST 2009

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 4:47 PM, Adam Treat <treat at kde.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday 09 December 2009 07:03:51 pm Peter Kasting wrote:
> > And I don't.  Who is right?  More importantly, how will you prevent us
> from
> > starting this debate on a bug?
>
> I won't?  If you as a reviewer consider the indentation of case labels to
> be a
> non-trivial issue, then exercise your good judgement in patch review and
> I'll
> trust that as a reviewer you will do a good job.

Think in terms of all pairings of patch authors and reviewers.  Perhaps you
will uncomplainingly obey anything a reviewer says, but not everyone would.

Lack of flexibility and/or enforcing the guidelines pedantically can also be
> problem though.

You haven't really said why.  The closest you got was the vague "It is also
true that the current style guidelines if
practiced pedantically in every case can lead to potential bugs."  Bugs like
what?  Perhaps if there are some, we should change the appropriate guide,
instead of leaving the choice up to a reviewer, who, if the rule really
_can_ be problematic, might erroneously enforce it.

PK