[webkit-dev] Resolution on switch statement indentation

David Levin levin at chromium.org
Wed Dec 9 11:27:53 PST 2009

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 10:11 AM, Chris Marrin <cmarrin at apple.com> wrote:

> 1) Case labels always have the same indentation as their switch (today's
>> rule)
>
>  If excessive indentation really is that big of a concern (which I don't
> think it is) I would rather see the current rule (rule 1) used.
>
> From the last email thread:

We could issue a fuzzy declaration such as, "Indent case blocks, except in
situations where an unreasonable amount of code would end up so-indented,
causing readability problems".

Two examples of situations where indenting case blocks would cause
readability problems are the JavaScriptCore interpreter and, to a lesser
extent, the JavaScriptCore JIT. All of Interpreter.cpp would suddenly be
indented by an extra 4 spaces, sucking up valuable horizontal real estate.

Geoff

Dave "who likes consistency within a code base but doesn't care too much
about the details of that consistency" Levin