[webkit-dev] Resolution on switch statement indentation

Chris Marrin cmarrin at apple.com
Wed Dec 9 10:11:52 PST 2009

On Dec 9, 2009, at 9:41 AM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> On Dec 9, 2009, at 7:26 AM, Chris Marrin wrote:
>

>> I saw another patch get rejected today because of switch statement
>> indentation. We discussed this last week, and I saw a lot of
>> support for my proposal of indenting case labels from their switch.
>> But the discussion did not end in resolution. To summarize, here
>> are the options mentioned:
>>
>> 1) Case labels always have the same indentation as their switch
>> (today's rule)
>>
>> 2) Case labels always indent 4 spaces in from their switch (my
>> preference)
>>
>> 3) Case labels indent 2 spaces in from their switch. (Maciej's rule)
>>
>> I was a little unclear on Maciej's rule. The last part of his rule
>> is "In the case where a case label is followed by a block, include
>> the open brace on the same line as the case label and indent the
>> matching close brace only two spaces (but still 4 spaces for the
>> contained statements)". Did he mean that the contained statements
>> would be indented 4 spaces from the case label, meaning they would
>> be indented 6 spaces from the switch?
>
> I meant 4 spaces from the switch (i.e. 2 additional spaces from the
> case label).
>
> switch (x) {
>  case foo: {
>    fooFunc();
>  }
>  case bar:
>    barFunc();
> }

Ok, the example above seems to be missing a space (it indents the case
label 1 and the block 3). But I assume you meant to indent 2 and 4. If
so, I understand what you are proposing. I still don't like it, but I
understand it. I think a consistent 4 space indentation scheme avoids
confusion and makes all the indentation tools in editors work
correctly. If excessive indentation really is that big of a concern
(which I don't think it is) I would rather see the current rule (rule
1) used.

-----
~Chris
cmarrin at apple.com