[webkit-dev] Proposing style guide change regarding braces on conditional arms

Chris Jerdonek chris.jerdonek at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 18:24:40 PST 2009

> Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 21:00:59 -0800
> From: Peter Kasting <pkasting at google.com>
>
> This is a followup to my thread yesterday regarding consistent enforcement
> of the style guide.  Like Yong Li, I find the current rule about braces on
> conditional arms to be suboptimal.

For the people thinking about this, it would be nice if the final
policy minimizes (and does not increase) the likelihood of having to
modify several lines of surrounding code after touching one line of
code.  I don't think this consideration has been raised.

This is similar to a point Darin Adler raised a few months back with
regard to lining up comments:

> Things manually lined up in source code generally create a small
> maintainability problem. You can’t rename things without re-lining
> things up, and if you make other types code changes without noticing
> the lined-up comments the code ends up looking messy an peculiar.

( https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2009-September/009814.html )

--Chris