[webkit-dev] I *HATE* CHANGELOGS!!!

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Wed Aug 26 15:43:21 PDT 2009

On Aug 26, 2009, at 3:37 PM, David Hyatt wrote:

> If the files could just merge properly, I would not be so annoyed,
> but the fact that you basically have to re-resolve conflicts every
> time anyone beats you to a checkin is just horrible.  Surely other
> people run into this.  It wastes time for me on practically every
> single checkin.... and I have ended up causing regressions because I
> don't wait to re-run layout tests every time just because I am
> trying to get my files landed before someone else modified the
> ChangeLog again.

If you use update-webkit it should merge the ChangeLog for you, or if
you use vanilla svn update, resolve-ChangeLogs should fix up the
conflicts. Do these not work for you?

> On top of that sometimes the ChangeLog merges cleanly but puts your
> entry underneath others, and then you have to open the file and move
> your entry back to the top.  Sometimes I have not noticed this and
> then I land with someone else's commit message.
>
> I just don't get why people are willing to put up with this.  It's
> really driving me crazy.

The above make it tolerable for me, but if it's really unlivable, we
can consider some other way to do this. One possibility is to have a
commit hook that builds the ChangeLog entry and includes it in the
commit atomically - that way there are no races.

Regards,
Maciej