[webkit-dev] Documenting common null pointer errors

Adam Barth abarth at webkit.org
Wed Aug 12 07:07:53 PDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 4:54 AM, Joe Mason<joe.mason at torchmobile.com> wrote:
> Adam Barth wrote:
>>
>> This is now up on the site:
>>
>> http://webkit.org/coding/major-objects.html
>>
>> It's not linked from anywhere yet.  It might be a good idea for a
>> couple of folks to look at it.  It reflects my understanding of how
>> things work, which might well be wrong.
>
> "NULL after navigation" could be clearer - it suggests that DOMWindow and
> everything below it only exists if you type the URL, but not if a page is
> loaded by clicking a link, which can't be true.

Oh, I meant navigate to cover both typing in the location bar and
clicking a link.  Is there a better word to use for that?

> Does it mean that it's NULL
> immediately after navigation, while waiting for the load, and is replaced by
> a valid pointer after loading?

I wasn't sure the best way to represent this in the diagram.
Typically, the edge becomes null in the "up" direction and replaced
with a new object in the "down" direction.  If you can think of a nice
way to explain this on the page, please file a bug, CC me, and upload
a patch.  :)

Adam