[webkit-dev] WebKit and Khronos Group

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Sat Aug 8 14:02:41 PDT 2009

On Aug 8, 2009, at 11:39 AM, Harry Underwood wrote:

> Thanks for the link. Didn't even know that WebGL is being considered
> by WebKit.

What Oliver showed you is patches to pretty much fully implement it,
done by an Apple employee. So we're doing more than considering it. I
expect there will be more to announce when the patches land.

> But another question, if you don't mind. Is O3D considered as a
> technical competitor or conflict with Apple's CSS and SVG
> extensions, or should it be considered as such?

We do have some extensions to do 3D transforms with CSS, creating
"2.5D" visuals with flat CSS boxes manipulated in 3D, and fully
integrated with the page content. For example, you can use it to apply
3D effects to a navigation menu or a video. O3D is much more about
creating full 3D models and scenes, without tight integration with the
Web content. In that respect, O3D is more of a competitor for WebGL
than 3D transforms/transitions.

Regards,
Maciej