[webkit-dev] LayoutTests take too long to run

Ojan Vafai ojan at chromium.org
Sat Aug 1 10:52:55 PDT 2009

SUMMARY
I doubt there's much room for improvement in the test harness itself outside
of running tests in parallel. However, there's clearly a lot to be gained by
making individual tests faster. For Chromium runs, the median time to run a
test is ~16ms. It's not apples to apples, but I would be surprised if there
were a significant difference between this and WebKit's run-webkit-tests.

With 16ms / test and 10,000 tests, it would take ~2.7 minutes to run the
whole test suite.

DETAILS
For the Chromium run_webkit_test.py, here's the stats in seconds from a
TestShell run on Windows Debug. FWIW, we spit these stats out for every run.
The eventual goal was to track this in a set of graphs, but I never got
around to implementing that.

Median: 0.0160000324249
Mean: 0.163495878646
90th percentile: 0.077999830246
99th percentile: 3.1099998951
Standard deviation: 0.519017629449

Here's the times for the five slowest top-level directories:
 LayoutTests\editing took 43.5 seconds to run 976 tests.
LayoutTests\svg took 53.7 seconds to run 891 tests.
LayoutTests\fast took 378.7 seconds to run 3695 tests.
LayoutTests\http took 396.9 seconds to run 632 tests.
LayoutTests\media took 596.3 seconds to run 84 tests.

This might be Chromium specific, but I'm seeing many of the the media layout
tests taking 8-10 seconds.

Ojan