[webkit-dev] LayoutTests take too long to run

Eric Seidel eric at webkit.org
Sat Aug 1 09:49:40 PDT 2009

Yeah, I stared a slowest run before going to bed, and got the following:
The 10 slowest tests:

9.58 secs: editing/selection/move-left-right.html
9.37 secs: fast/js/array-filter.html
7.71 secs: editing/selection/extend-selection.html
6.82 secs: fast/js/sort-randomly.html
6.25 secs: http/tests/cache/subresource-expiration.html
5.77 secs: fast/js/array-enumerators-functions.html
5.41 secs: fast/events/click-count.html
5.39 secs: fast/js/toString-and-valueOf-override.html
5.26 secs: fast/js/try-catch-crash.html
5.05 secs: http/tests/navigation/slowmetaredirect-basic.html

that's 10% of our time right there. :)  I bet some of those have 5 second
timers and should be easy to fix.  I'll take a look, anyone else who would
like to help would be most welcome. :)

I remember Ojan finding that running tests in parallel was the biggest
overall win, but there is definitely a lot of low-hanging fruit in the
slowest tests too.  I'm curious what the fastest tests run in.  I would
expect the harness cost to be near-zero, but I'm not sure.  (i.e. what's the
runtime of run-webkit-tests with 10000 empty test.  I would expect only a
few seconds.)

-eric