[webkit-dev] <audio>/<source> and the type attribute

Harold, John-Paul john-paul.harold at emimusic.com
Wed Apr 1 02:37:29 PDT 2009

> On Tue, 31 Mar 2009, Harold, John-Paul wrote:
> >
> > in my HTML5 audio markup, I have the following
> >
> > <audio>
> >   <source src="/media/audio/ogg/9001_10000/9807.ogg"
> type="audio/ogg;
> > codecs=vorbis"/>
> >   <source src="/media/audio/m4a/9001_10000/9807.m4a"/>
> > </audio>
> >
> > but I'm unsure what the equivalent type attribute for an m4a file
> > should be. Can someone advise?
>
> Does this help?:
>
>    http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#attr-source-type

Hello Ian,

normally, reading the docs does help :-) However, in my example, I have
previously tried the following,

<source src="/media/audio/m4a/9001_10000/9807.m4a" type= "audio/mp4;
codecs=&quot;mp4a.40.2&quot;"/>

Using this, Safari stops playing the audio. It works without any type
attribute, but that feels wrong. I'm wondering if my attempts so far
have been using an incorrect mime-type, or/and a wrong codec
declaration.

I'm wondering if this has something to do with the issue,
https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-unassigned/2008-August/081596.
html

jp

> --
> Ian Hickson               U+1047E
> http://ln.hixie.ch/       U+263A                /,   _.. \
> Things that are impossible just take longer.

Music from EMI

This e-mail including any attachments is confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received it in error please advise the sender immediately by return email and then delete it from your system. The unauthorised use, distribution, copying or alteration of this email is strictly forbidden. If you need assistance please contact us on +44 20 7795 7000.

This email is from a unit or subsidiary of EMI Group Limited.

Registered Office: 27 Wrights Lane, London W8 5SW

Registered in England No 229231.