[webkit-dev] rendering tree

Luka Napotnik luka.napotnik at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 01:57:10 PDT 2009

Hello.

I was checking out the great webcore tutorials on webkit homepage. But
I didn't find some answers that I was searching for. Could someone
please summarize them to me. To be specific, I'm interested to catch
the moment when each RenderObject in the rendering tree is fully
rendered and painted on the frameview.

As I understand, the RenderView is the root item of the rendering
tree. Because rendering is recursive and is applied only to elements
that need layout, I thought the layout() method of RenderView should
do the trick. The layout() method is re-implemented from
RenderBlock/RenderFlow. Now If an element is changed (e.g. some div
tag) from JacaScript, the FrameView calls layout() upon the root node
(which is RenderView). I inserted some debug outputs within layout()
and get multiple outputs.

I'm thinking is it even possible to get the moment where every element
is repainted since painting is probably asynchronous.

Greets,
Luka