[webkit-dev] setTimeout as browser speed throttle

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Tue Sep 30 23:55:53 PDT 2008

On Sep 30, 2008, at 10:36 PM, Darin Fisher wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 7:14 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com>
> wrote:
> 2) Consider making WebKit's default minimum timer limit lower -
> something like 3ms-5ms. I don't know what we would do to verify that
> this is "safe enough" or who would do the work. Maybe Hyatt?
>

> We are in the process of verifying this now ;-)  Our eyes and ears
> are open (have been) for bug reports related to this.  Right now, we
> are happy to be trying something radical.  In the absence of problem
> reports, when do we declare success?

Based on what Peter said, it sounds like there has been at least one
problem report. There was at least one more vague report made
informally in John Resig's blog comments. Maybe we need to start by
agreeing what counts as "absence of problem reports".

However, by way of comparison, we added a 10ms clamp three and a half
years after the first Safari beta was released to the public, as it
took about that long to get enough bug reports to convince us that we
had to do it for compatibility.

Given that, I think we may want to find some more active way to look
for potential problems and potential benefits.

Regards,
Maciej