[webkit-dev] setTimeout as browser speed throttle

Mike Belshe mike at belshe.com
Tue Sep 30 23:32:26 PDT 2008

Thanks everyone for the feedback and ideas.  Sounds like we're converging.
Maciej - I'll volunteer to do the work in the webkit tree to reduce the
existing timer and testing that is deemed necessary (actually, I think this
is mostly a testing task; the code change is trivial).  I think the test I
sent earlier (timers2) gives a decent indication of how much cpu various
timer minimums will drain.  Of course, this completely depends on the
hardware you are running on; but I could imagine taking that test on a very
low end box and using that for basic data.

Also - I have run tests in general web browsing to see sites affected by the
timer clamp (I just added a counter to count every time it kicks in).  I
reran this tonight; even gmail triggers it occassionally.  But overall it is
rarely triggered.  I think this is to be expected since applications that
exist today are built on the technology which they have available to them,
and this feature didn't exist before on any major browser.  A year after we
deploy this, maybe we'll start to see some apps use it. :-)

Mike