[webkit-dev] setTimeout as browser speed throttle

David Hyatt hyatt at apple.com
Mon Sep 29 20:58:48 PDT 2008

We encountered 100% CPU spins on amazon.com, orbitz.com, mapquest.com,
among others (looking through Radar histories).  This was pre-clamp.
Web sites make this mistake because they don't know any better, and it
works fine in IE.  It is a mistake these sites will continue to make,
and Chrome is the only browser that will be susceptible.  Being
different from IE here is not a good thing.  You will end up having to
evangelize sites over and over to fix 100% CPU spins that occur only
in your browser.  Do you really want that kind of headache?

A new API will let Web apps get the performance they need while
avoiding compatibility problems.

dave