[webkit-dev] Maintainer wanted for wkpdf command-line client to WebKit

Christian Plessl christian at plesslweb.ch
Mon Sep 29 11:04:08 PDT 2008

Dear WebKit developers

I'm the developer of a small open-source utility named "wkpdf" which
is basically a command-line interface to the WebKit framework on Mac
OS X (see http://wkpdf.plesslweb.ch). The goal of wkdpf is to allow
rendering HTML to PDF files from the command line. A number of options
allow for setting the paper format, margins, enable background image
rendering, etc.

Although any HTML renderer should be able to perform this task, the
choice of comparable tools is surprisingly small. No browser I know of
implements a non-interactive command-line rendering mode. There are
few specialized tools, e.g.,  htmldoc (http://www.easysw.com/htmldoc/)
which converts simple HTML files to PDF, but the feature set of
htmldoc is very limited. For high-end applications, there is a tool
named Prince (http://www.princexml.com/) that is quite powerful but
too expensive for casual or hobbyist use.

In contrast, wkpdf leverages WebKit's excellent rendering capabilities
and OS X's native PDF support to implement a HTML to PDF rendering
tool that - thanks to WebKit -  supports the latest CSS standards.
Given the latest developments in CSS, e.g. pagination or columns,
wkpdf could be even used for typesetting books written in HTML and CSS.

wkpdf started as a toy project and it is still in its infancy but I
think such a tool could be really useful for many users and also
promotes the use of WebKit in non-interactive applications.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to working on wkpdf anymore.

Thus I'm looking for a new maintainer or other ways to keep wkpdf
alive. For example, I would be happy to contribute the wkpdf sources
to the WebKit team.

If you think that integration of wkpdf into the WebKit repository is
useful, or if you would like to be the new maintainer for wkpdf please
let me know via this mailing list or private email.

Best regards,
Christian