[webkit-dev] Safari and complex script rendering

David Hyatt hyatt at apple.com
Sun Sep 28 11:48:27 PDT 2008

WebCore has two font rendering code paths: the simple path and the
complex path.  WidthIterator is only used by the simple path.  For
complex scripts, different code paths are used that involve the OS
text engines more (ATSUI/CoreText on Mac, Uniscribe on Windows).

Check out platform/graphics/Font.cpp.

Functions usually branch based off a canUseGlyphCache method that
inspects the text run to see if it contains complex script:

For example, here is the drawText function:

void Font::drawText(GraphicsContext* context, const TextRun& run,
const FloatPoint& point, int from, int to) const
{
     if (canUseGlyphCache(run))
         drawSimpleText(context, run, point, from, to);
     else
         drawComplexText(context, run, point, from, to);
}

dave