[webkit-dev] Some thoughts about platform flags

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Wed Sep 24 15:22:04 PDT 2008

On Sep 24, 2008, at 3:17 PM, David Kilzer wrote:

> Would replacing PLATFORM(MAC) with PLATFORM(COCOA) make more sense
> (in some cases)?

There are two separate issues. Naturally, we could rename MAC to
COCOA, and without commenting on whether I think that's a good change
— if we did it we'd also need to rename the many files that use the
Mac suffix at the same time to use a Cocoa suffix.

But when you say "in some cases", then I think that brings up a
separate question. We would only want both COCOA and MAC if we had
some separate meaning for MAC that's distinct from, say, DARWIN. It's
not at all obvious to me that we'll have that yet.

I think the right place to start is specific examples of code inside
PLATFORM(MAC) that the Chromium folks want to use in their Mac
platform version. And see where that leads us.

     -- Darin