[webkit-dev] HTML5 Application Cache

Michael Nordman michaeln at google.com
Thu Sep 18 11:42:31 PDT 2008

Hi Anders,
Thnx for the pointers to the tests. I hadn't seen them.

Honestly I think the spec needs to be revisited on this thing. The manifest
update/validation scheme in particular has some real problems around
opportunistic caching and dynamically added resources imo. But that aside
for the moment...

* Is this stuff built into shipping Safari or iPhone browsers yet?

* Are any apps, to your knowledge, relying on this stuff yet?

* About the current implementation in the tree.

I noticed all of the I/O was sync, everything including the cached responses
are stored in an SQLite database. Also noticed that when a page that
references an appcache is loaded, all of the resources contained in that
appcache are loaded into memory at page load time. I'm glad you guys don't
consider that as 'done' :)

What would you think of separating response storage (headers and bodies)
from the logical structure of an appcache (set of entries and categories,
namespace definitions, etc). SQLite is a reasonable choice for the logical
structure.  That database could contain keys to response bodies contained in
another repository from which ResourceHandles could be loaded
asynchronously.

Michael