[webkit-dev] Compiling WebKit on Mac OS 10.3.9

Mark Rowe mrowe at apple.com
Mon Sep 8 19:15:47 PDT 2008

On Sep 8, 2008, at 11:46 AM, Hashim, Shuhdi wrote:

> We distribute a Java-based application that uses WebKit to display
> flash content on the Mac.  We have successfully bundled a version of
> WebKit for Mac OS 10.4 and 10.5.  Looking at the Safari 1.3 source
> for 10.3.9 systems, it seems that it hasn't changed in a while.  I
> tried to build a WebKit for 10.3.9 by grabbing the codebase for
> Safari 1.3.  It failed to compile correctly.  I then tried to
> compile the Safari 1.2 codebase but it also failed.  I have found
> multiple blogs online about others not being able to compile a
> WebKit for 10.3.9.  Can anyone please help me in figuring out how to
> compile WebKit for 10.3.9?

My understanding is that WebKit moved to an open development model
after support for 10.3 had been dropped from the code base.  Some
interest was expressed in getting things working again on 10.3, but
little was achieved in that direction.

Why do you need to build WebKit yourself rather than relying on the
system version?

- Mark