[webkit-dev] Geolocation questions

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Fri Oct 31 16:05:20 PDT 2008

On Oct 31, 2008, at 1:22 PM, Holger Freyther wrote:

> Hey,
> I have started implementing  a GeoLocation service for Gtk+ using
> the Gypsy
> interface. I have some comments and questions:
>
> 1.) Could we remove GeolocationService::create from
> GeolocationService.cpp?
> Any platform that intends to implement this can have this factory in
> their
> GeolocationServiceFoo.cpp? This makes it possible to add and remove
> platforms
> without touching this file.

Perhaps the right thing to do is to have GeolocationService::create
make the appropriate platform-specific service class, so that the core
code can remain platform-independent and platform ifdefs can be
limited to the platform/ directory.

> 2.) Geoposition is RefCounted but we pass Geoposition* all over the
> place? Can
> we decide on of the two? This would also make the ownership more
> clear.

There's not necessarily a conflict there - often the right thing to do
under our refcounting rules is to pass raw pointers, if the callee is
not expected to take ownership. (See Darin's document <http://webkit.org/coding/RefPtr.html
 >). Is there a specific place where you think passing a raw pointer
is wrong?

Regards,
Maciej