[webkit-dev] Moving forward with WebKit/GTK+

Holger Freyther zecke at selfish.org
Wed Oct 29 04:50:12 PDT 2008

On Tuesday 28 October 2008 20:04:06 Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> For some time now I've been worried by the lack of progress of
> WebKit/GTK+ where API is concerned. I am aware that loads of work have
> been going into improving the engine backends and frontends, including
> many bug fixes, but real-world adoption for many applications is
> hindered by lack of features being accessible through a public API.
>
> While using Epiphany/Devhelp/Liferea, for instance, which already have
> semi-functional WebKit/GTK+ ports one isn't able to middle-click links
> to open them in new tabs, which is the kind of feature a user would
> quickly perceive as basic, and missing. Some other features are
> currently being implemented by hacks (mis-)using the already exposed
> API, or the JavaScriptCore API.

The other part is, it is really hard to judge what is Gtk'ish. E.g. our
current settings API is using GObject properties. Now we have a patch to add a
thousand getters and setters as shortcut[1].

I think this is weird, e.g. one setter/getter and enum would be enough, or
even the gobject properites are good enough... so some sort of API feedback of
key people would be good.

[1] https://bugs.webkit.org/attachment.cgi?id=24541&action=edit