[webkit-dev] EOT Support in WebKit

David Storey storey.david at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 09:39:54 PDT 2008

I'm not sure if this has been discussed, but to add a bit more to
this, the reason why Indian sites were using EOT, and Netscape’s
equivalent, wasn't so much that they wanted to use a specific font,
but because at the time of development Uniicode wasn't supported well
on Windows (Pre-NT) and so many characters couldn't be displayed
well.  They solved this by using EOT and the likes.  Now that Windows
supports Unicode, it is only really a legacy issue, except for those
users using pre-XP OS.  Because of this, sites are more willing to
just use UTF these days, if we tell them about the compatibility
issues with EOT and none-IE browsers.