[webkit-dev] EOT Support in WebKit

Amanda Walker amanda at chromium.org
Fri Oct 17 15:03:15 PDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 5:52 PM, David Hyatt <hyatt at apple.com> wrote:
> On Oct 17, 2008, at 2:22 PM, Amanda Walker wrote:
>> EOT is irrelevant to the technical and operational advantages of TTF.
>>

> That's simply not true.  In order to avoid using multiple browser-specific
> stylesheets, vendors are going to write code like so:

OK, I must not have phrased myself well.  There's a set of web
developers who will use TTF but will not use EOT (just as they have
not so far, did not use TrueDoc, etc.).  Removing TTF support would be
a disservice to that set of users regardless of whether or not EOT is
also supported.

> @font-face {
>        font-family: MyFont;
>        src: url(font-for-ie-and-chrome.eot),
> url(font-for-firefox-and-safari.ttf);
> }
>
> They will take advantage of the fact that WebKit and Firefox can skip EOT
> files in the src declaration list.

Why would someone prefer an EOT version to a TTF version if they are
serving both?  If they are relying on DRM, this removes any advantage
of it, since they are serving a non-DRM alternative.

> It's important to recognize that if you flip the EOT switch, you're going to
> end up using EOT over TTF in many cases.

Certainly so--I just don't see the logical connection between that and
"you might as well remove TTF support".  Plenty of sites will only be
serving TTF, since it requires no extra tools or Microsoft tax.
Removing TTF support would only serve to spite the people who are
sticking to standards and open formats.

--Amanda