[webkit-dev] My Windows build notes

Mike Belshe mike at belshe.com
Tue Oct 14 10:17:32 PDT 2008

Thanks Adam.

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 5:47 AM, Adam Roben <aroben at apple.com> wrote:

> On Oct 13, 2008, at 7:09 PM, Mike Belshe wrote:
>
> It took me a while to get my windows build going, so I thought I'd share
> what I learned:
>

> Thanks, Mike! This kind of information is very helpful in keeping our
> instructions up-to-date.
>
> 1) I had to completely start over with cygwin.  I uninstalled and
> reinstalled using the cygwin-downloader from here:
> http://webkit.org/building/tools.html
>
> 2) Several components were missing from cygwin:
>     - perl, make, gcc, bison, gperf, curl, unzip, flex
>
> 3) Used cpan "get Win32API::Registry to download that module
>

> Steps (2) and (3) were required even after installing via
> cygwin-downloader? You can see the list of packages it installs here: <
> http://trac.webkit.org/browser/trunk/WebKitTools/CygwinDownloader/cygwin-downloader.py#L47>.
> You can see that the list includes all the packages you mentioned (even
> perl-libwin32, which should install the Win32API::Registry module, I
> believe).

Yes.  I've read some about multiple cygwin installations, maybe I have
multiple cygwins on one box?  The cygwin install/uninstall process is
basically voodoo.   Even after I deleted everything cygwin related I could
find, I reinstalled using the cygwin-downloader but I didn't have these
components.

Overall, I think cygwin is really brittle.  We might be able to make this
more reliable by putting this into the windows-specific tooling and then
reference it explicitly rather than relying on cygwin's installer?

> 4) After downloading the source, I also had to run update-webkit.  I
> suspect this is a required step, although I don't think it is documented?
>

> This is documented here <http://webkit.org/building/checkout.html>:
>

>    1.
>
>    Type this command to update your source tree:
>
>    WebKit/WebKitTools/Scripts/update-webkit
>
>    If you downloaded the tarball, this will bring it up to date. Windows
>    users must always execute this command after first obtaining the code, since
>    it will download additional libraries that are needed to build.

Not sure how I missed that.  Seems so obvious now! :-)