[webkit-dev] Porting webkit to a new graphics library

twells wells.trevor at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 11:26:46 PDT 2008

I was looking for a good layout engine to embed in a TV based product.  From
the research I have done there appeared to be 4 main players (Gecko,
Trident, Presto, and WebKit).  It appears that folks who had used other
layout engines were moving to Webkit.
I am running a linux kernel on a MIPS based processor.  The chipset is
provided by a vendor which has its own drawing libraries.  I am trying to
figure out the best way to map a ported graphics lib interface.  I started
looking at Cairo.  I was not sure if folks would recommend taking the Cairo
API and creating an implementation which wrapped my proprietary drawing API.
I don't understand why GTK+ still uses Cairo as well and if they are
inseperable.  I thought Cairo was used mainly for the Windows port.

Secondarily,  our front end currently uses Java.  Our java will be compiled
directly to machine code using GCJ.  I would like to use the top level
WebKit API via JNI.  Most of our drawing commands are in C anyway and go
directly to hardware (i.e. they don't have to come back into Java).  We
don't use Swing.

I am hoping there are folks out there who have run into this same issue and
can share experiences.  In an IRC chat at #webkit I was told I could port
the webkit side that does the drawing.  Documenation in this area is sparse.
I would like to create an adaptation layer for the proprietary draw API so
that the core of webkit can be updated easily.

Thanks for feedback
twells