[webkit-dev] High Resolution Timer API proposal(s)

Ojan Vafai ojan at chromium.org
Thu Oct 2 18:28:31 PDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 6:20 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:

> On Oct 2, 2008, at 6:14 PM, Ojan Vafai wrote:
>
>> The thing is that often enough the place where you want to modify the
>> delay you don't necessarily have access to the callback you would need in
>> order to recreate the timer. So, you have to keep track of more stuff in
>> JavaScript (e.g. a pointer to the callback). It's not the end of the world,
>> but it makes for clunkier uses of the API.
>>
>> What do you think of the following?
>>
>> interface Timer {
>>    void stop();
>>    void restart(double optional_argument_delayInSeconds);
>> }
>>

> Would restart change the time remaining as if that delay had been set
> originally, or would it make the new delay the current time remaining?
> Should it also let you change the repeating status of the timer? (That
> doesn't seem hugely important but this way seems oddly non-orthogonal).
>
> Perhaps there should be a timeElapsed field (which would give seconds
> actually elapsed since last fire, to the best precision the UA can manage),
> which is useful for both recalculating delays and adjusting for jitter.

The way that makes the most sense to me is that restart would make the new
delay the current time remaining.

Having a timeElapsed field seems like a great addition that doesn't bloat
the API.

I really don't see any good use case for letting you change the repeating
status, so I prefer leaving it out.

> I think I will post it to a standards group soon, probably starting with
> whatwg and possibly moving to webapps if Hixie thinks that is the right way
> to go. We can discuss details further there.

Sounds good.

This is great. It will make a lot of nasty code much cleaner.

Ojan