[webkit-dev] High Resolution Timer API proposal(s)

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Thu Oct 2 18:20:04 PDT 2008

On Oct 2, 2008, at 6:14 PM, Ojan Vafai wrote:

> The thing is that often enough the place where you want to modify
> the delay you don't necessarily have access to the callback you
> would need in order to recreate the timer. So, you have to keep
> track of more stuff in JavaScript (e.g. a pointer to the callback).
> It's not the end of the world, but it makes for clunkier uses of the
> API.
>
> What do you think of the following?
>
> interface Timer {
>     void stop();
>     void restart(double optional_argument_delayInSeconds);
> }

Would restart change the time remaining as if that delay had been set
originally, or would it make the new delay the current time remaining?
Should it also let you change the repeating status of the timer? (That
doesn't seem hugely important but this way seems oddly non-orthogonal).

Perhaps there should be a timeElapsed field (which would give seconds
actually elapsed since last fire, to the best precision the UA can
manage), which is useful for both recalculating delays and adjusting
for jitter.

I think I will post it to a standards group soon, probably starting
with whatwg and possibly moving to webapps if Hixie thinks that is the
right way to go. We can discuss details further there.

Regards,
Maciej