[webkit-dev] Long-term Google-URL integration plans

Peter Kasting pkasting at chromium.org
Thu Oct 2 18:26:26 PDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 6:11 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:

> It sounds to me like you are saying that you would not be willing to
> consider using the current KURL implementation in Chrome, even it
> turns out to be materially better, and it gets exposed with a low-
> level interface that you could use in non-WebCore pieces of Chrome,
> and ends up free of problematic dependencies or license terms.
>
> Is that a correct interpretation of what you are saying?

We will always be willing to take a better engineering solution over a worse
one.

Given that I don't think KURL _does_ canonicalization right now it's hard
for me to understand what it means to suggest that the current KURL could be
"materially better".  And we spent a lot of time on the performance,
footprint, and compatibility of this code, since it's used all over; so I
have confidence in its qualities.  But I think the intent here is to make it
possible to build whatever the right thing is and use it everywhere.  If
there is something low-level that is materially better than what we have to
offer as a starting point (the current low-level code underlying GURL),
whether that already exists or gets created/improved over time, then both
Chromium front-end code and WebCore benefit from using it.

The prospect of WTF types in general tends to make me leery, since using one
can bring in dependencies on others, and we wouldn't want to bring more
dependencies than necessary into the Chromium front-end code; but if this
were confined to using existing lightweight WTF types that didn't depend on
other types, for cases where the current low-level GURL code is already
rolling its own types, then there's probably no loss to anyone by doing that
(and a small gain for embedders already using WTF types).

PK