[webkit-dev] Using Google-URL in WebKit

Darin Fisher darin at chromium.org
Thu Oct 2 15:25:37 PDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 3:01 PM, Geoffrey Garen <ggaren at apple.com> wrote:

> One thing I'd like to highlight:  It is a requirement for Chromium to use
>> consistent URL parsing throughout the entire application.
>>

> Can you explain this requirement more?
>
> I think that's an important data point, since other WebKit ports, including
> the Mac port, use KURL in WebKit and a different URL class in the app /
> platform layers -- so we may not be sufficiently familiar with why a single
> URL class is so important to Chrome.

Sure.  It helps us avoid security bugs that may be caused by inconsistent
URL handling in different parts of the code base.  This is very important to
us.

For example, canonicalization effects whether you consider two URL strings
to be the same or different.  This can impact the network stack, the
download manager, the URL bar, the safe browsing system, the history system,
etc. etc.  In some cases it is just about correctness.  In others it is
about security.

-Darin