[webkit-dev] build webkit on windows

Brent Fulgham bfulgham at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 21:58:56 PST 2008

Hi Dmitry,

On Nov 25, 2008, at 8:41 PM, Dmitry Markman wrote:

> I was able to open project
> and successfully created my own small VS2005 project
> neither application I built with my project nor application that was
> built by cygwin
> was able to open url "http://www.apple.com"
>
> some COM calls returned not implemented error
>
> I copied all DLL (except WebKit.dll) to the folder that contains my
> application

The DLL on Windows is a COM object.  It is registered when the
DumpRenderTree program is executed.  I believe you can force it to
register via a call to the standard "regsvr32 WebKit.dll" (executing
this in the same directory with the WebKit.dll you built).

The examples you are following (e.g., WinLauncher) use a COM call to
get the object:

HRESULT hr = CoCreateInstance (CLSID_WebView, 0, CLSCTX_ALL,
IID_IWebView, (void**)&gWebView);

Windows has to know where to find the DLL that implements the IWebView
interface.  The call to regsvr32 tells the OS that WebKit.dll is the
library to load to access this interface.

I suspect if you register your freshly-built WebKit.dll, you will get
the behavior you are looking for.

Thanks,

-Brent