[webkit-dev] Safari won't run for me.

Paul Pedriana ppedriana at gmail.com
Sat May 24 23:54:21 PDT 2008

I followed the instructions at http://webkit.org on how to sync, build
and run WebKit. However, the last step (run-safari) fails due to
inability to find the CLSID for WebKit.WebView. It appears that some
kind of COM object installation needs to be done in order for this to
succeed. But I can find no instructions that deal with this, nor did a
search of the WebKit site and Bugzilla find an answer, nor do the
scripts appear to automatically do it, nor could I find an auxiliary
script to do it. Below shows what I execute and what goes wrong. Thanks
for any help you might be able to give.

$ /cygdrive/d/WebKit/WebKitTools/Scripts/build-webkit --debug
.
.
 WebKit is now built. To run Safari with this newly-built
 code, use the "WebKitTools/Scripts/run-safari" script.

 NOTE: WebKit has been built with SVG support enabled.
 Safari will have SVG viewing capabilities.
 Your build supports the following (optional) SVG features:
  * Basic SVG animation.
  * SVG foreign object.
  * SVG fonts.
  * SVG as image.
  * SVG <use> support.

$ /cygdrive/d/WebKit/WebKitTools/Scripts/run-safari
        1 file(s) copied.
WARNING: Failed to get CLSID for WebKit.WebView
ERROR: Couldn't determine installed Safari path
Setting environment for using Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 x86 tools.