[webkit-dev] wx/Gtk+ and Network backends

Alp Toker alp at nuanti.com
Mon Mar 24 08:52:55 PDT 2008

Holger Freyther wrote:
> So please before wasting more time on implementing the same things for
> different backends let us wotk on one together. I do not care if it is
> curl+glib, soup, neon...

Indeed, there are a lot of http backends around and not all of them are
even being tested by build bots.

For the GTK+ port, we're investigating soup because the maintainer has
suggested it'll gain caching, cookie and PAC support (probably using
JSCore), getting similar functionality to CFNetwork. If this works out,
it'll align with our needs in the GTK+ port and let us avoid
re-implementing this functionality ourselves on top of curl.

soup has main loop integration but so does Mike Emmel's new ncurl http
backend so this isn't really a deciding factor. I'd like to see ncurl
eventually replace the current curl backend.

We continue to use the curl http backend by default in the GTK+ port
because it works better and is more widely available than soup-2.4 at
the moment. Don't know if we're ready to switch just yet though.

--
http://www.nuanti.com
the browser experts