[webkit-dev] Windows build error during link

Brent Fulgham bfulgham at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 20:35:07 PST 2008

Hi Mike,

I'm really confused by these error messages.  It looks like these
indicate problems with C++ exception handling:

> LINK : warning LNK4044: unrecognized option '/dynamicbase'; ignored
>    Creating library c:\cygwin\home\mike\WebKit\WebKitBuild\lib
> \WebKit.lib and ob
> ject c:\cygwin\home\mike\WebKit\WebKitBuild\lib\WebKit.exp
> WebCore_debug.lib(RenderLayer.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved
> external symbol "
> __declspec(dllimport) public: void __thiscall
> std::exception::_Raise(void)const
> " (__imp_?_Raise at exception@std@@QBEXXZ) referenced in function
> "struct std::pair
> <class WebCore::RenderLayer * *,int> __cdecl
> std::get_temporary_buffer<class Web
> Core::RenderLayer *>(int)" (??
> $get_temporary_buffer at PAVRenderLayer@WebCore@@@std
> @@YA?AU?$pair at PAPAVRenderLayer@WebCore@@H at 0@H at Z)
> WebCore_debug.lib(CanvasGradient.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved
> external symbo
> l "__declspec(dllimport) public: void __thiscall
> std::exception::_Raise(void)con
> st " (__imp_?_Raise at exception@std@@QBEXXZ)
> WebCore_debug.lib(RenderLayer.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved
> external symbol "
> __declspec(dllimport) public: __thiscall
> std::exception::exception(char const *,
> int)" (__imp_??0exception at std@@QAE at PBDH@Z) referenced in function
> "public: __thi
> scall std::bad_alloc::bad_alloc(char const *)" (??
> 0bad_alloc at std@@QAE at PBD@Z)
> WebCore_debug.lib(CanvasGradient.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved
> external symbo
> l "__declspec(dllimport) public: __thiscall
> std::exception::exception(char const
>  *,int)" (__imp_??0exception at std@@QAE at PBDH@Z)

I also don't see anything that indicates that WebCore actually built.
If I recall correctly, I remember seeing an error message about a
conflict with the standard C library linked to the application.  I
don't see this on my system, so I wonder if something is misconfigured.

Can you remind me what you are building with (Visual Studio Express?
Visual Studio Professional?), and if you have installed the Platform
SDK and have registered the Platform SDK with your development
environment.

Thanks,

-Brent