[webkit-dev] reclaim of number cells

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Thu Jun 26 02:59:04 PDT 2008

Hi Zoltan,

The performance results are certainly interesting. Would you mind
explaining the algorithm a bit more?

Also, do you know why it is slowing down the tests that it does? In
general the tests that seem hurt in performance are ones that would
use a lot of immediate numbers. I can understand why they would not
benefit from reducing allocation of number cells, but why do they get
slower? If we understand that, we might be able to come up with a
version that has the upsides but not the downsides of your patch.

I should also note, we are considering using 64-bit VM registers (with
a special encoding that well let us store a double, a pointer or an
int without a separate type tag, basically all non-double types would
look like a NaN but not the standard NaN, so the low 48 or so bits are
free.) In such a scheme, number cells would be GC-allocated only if
the number is stored in an object (or possibly not at all if we decide
we can make objects and arrays bigger).

That's probably a few weeks off though, so I'd be interested in
whether we can make your patch work.

Regards,
Maciej