[webkit-dev] Proposal and ideas for a new .in format

Julien Chaffraix julien.chaffraix at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 15:30:56 PDT 2008

Hi all,

following several issues raised about the XML format, I have tried a
variation of the format Maciej proposed.

Here is an exemple:

# the first part contains the common parameters (may be empty)
namespace=html
cppNamespace=WebCore
namespaceURI=http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml

# an empty line separate the 2nd part from the tags
# the first one is the tag, followed by a comma separated list of
attributes / values.
a           upperCase=Anchor, noWrapperFactory=1
audio    applyAudioHack=1

The common parameters would hold anything that is not related to
generation so that the script is aware of what it is generating.

These parameters for make_names.pl are (I included where I would put them):

- namespace
- namespacePrefix
- namespaceURI
- cppNamespace
- tagsNullNamespace
- attrsNullNamespace
- noWrapper (holding this change until the format settled)
- customWrapper (holding this change until the format settled)

=> would leave them in the .in files.

- guardFactoryWith

=> not sure if it belongs to the .in files or as a command line parameter.

- generateFactory
- generateWrapperFactory

=> would revert them as a command line parameters.

A last thought, do we want to switch all the .in files to this format
for coherency?

Any comments are welcome.

Regards,

Julien