[webkit-dev] WebKit memory management?

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Wed Jun 4 11:59:37 PDT 2008

On Jun 4, 2008, at 11:38 AM, Paul Pedriana wrote:

> I can understand that some developers who have spent a lot of time
> developing monolithic desktop or server software are used to using
> the built-in global operator new. The concept of controlling memory
> like I am proposing is the rule in commercial library development
> and not the exception. I humbly ask that the WebKit team consider
> migrating towards this type of development. It will make WebKit
> considerably stronger outside the desktop market, and yet is rather
> easy to apply. It's largely a matter of accepting an idea that is a
> little different from what some have done in the past.

Your tone here stinks. Many others working on WebKit are
professionals, probably with more commercial library experience than
you, and many of the WebKit contributors work on software for
constrained mobile devices.

That having been said, I think this is a great suggestion. Are you
willing to do this work, or are you expecting someone else to do it?

     -- Darin