[webkit-dev] WebKit memory management?

Justin Haygood jhaygood at reaktix.com
Wed Jun 4 11:18:09 PDT 2008

Based on my (limited) understanding:

* Inside the same linked executable (an EXE, DLL, etc..), you can only have
a single implementation of something, such as operator new, operator delete,
etc..

* Inside different linked executables that are dynamically linked (or
statically linked using shared libraries), you can have one implementation
per shared library

For instance:

MyCoolGame.exe can use its own custom implementation of operator
new/operater delete
WebKit.dll can use another custom implementation that is different from
MyCoolGame.exe
UberGraphicsLibrary.dll can use yet another custom implementation that is
different from both WebKit.dll and MyCoolGame.exe

However, WebCore.lib and JavaScriptCore.lib, which are linked into
WebKit.dll, have to use the same implementation, since even though they are
different static libraries, they are linked into a single linkable
executable.