[webkit-dev] WebKit memory management?

Paul Pedriana ppedriana at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 19:58:49 PDT 2008

As I have mentioned recently on this list, I am investigating the
possibility of porting WebKit to work within games on gaming platforms.
Recent help on this has been greatly appreciated and I am going to try
to stick with WebKit as opposed to Mozilla/Gecko.

A major consideration for the usage of libraries in general on gaming
and embedded platforms is that their memory usage be controllable. The
application should be able to set aside a block of RAM and have the
library use that block of RAM via a user-supplied memory allocator. At
no time should the library attempt to use any other memory nor use its
own means to access the user-provided memory. This pattern of library
development is very important, and most professional commercial library
software follows this pattern (including all commercial peers of
WebKit). I am wondering how I might achieve this with WebKit.

I wrote a paper for the C++ Standardization Committee last year which we
hope helps explain what memory management means to console and embedded
systems developers. It is available at:
       http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2007/n2271.html

with the following paragraphs that address memory management:

http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2007/n2271.html#game_software_issues

http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2007/n2271.html#Appendix_7

http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2007/n2271.html#Appendix_12

http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2007/n2271.html#Appendix_18

http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2007/n2271.html#Appendix_26

IMHO, the approaches that are useful for console and embedded
development also serve to benefit desktop application development. These
approaches are reasonable and in the end make life better for developers
of all platforms. Witness the benefits of FireFox's recent memory
improvements, for example.

Thank you.