[webkit-dev] sunspider slow-down

Zoltan Herczeg zherczeg at inf.u-szeged.hu
Fri Jul 18 08:00:25 PDT 2008

Hi webkit developers!

I have recently updated my repository from revision 35033 to revision
35231, and noticed a great (20%) perfromance loss for sunspider. My test
system has a Dual-core 2.2 GHz AMD opteron cpu. Since this is a big range,
I have tried some other revisions as well to find out the reason of this
big jump. It seems the change was heppened between 35208 and 35231.

Sunspider results:
revision 35033 - 3168.0ms +/- 0.8%
revision 35231 - 3172.0ms +/- 0.7%
revision 35208 - 3782.8ms +/- 0.6%
revision 35231 - 3779.2ms +/- 0.6%

*1.193x as slow* according to sunspider-compare-results

We have collected more than a dozen other js programs to extend the jsc
benchmark set, and it seems "bubble sort" is slowed down to 3.4 sec from 2
sec, which is about 70% performance loss.

The results and this benchmark are attached to this mail.

Do you know about it? Is there a reason behind it or shall I make a
bug-report?

Cheers,
Zoltan