[webkit-dev] How to use webkit ?

Gustavo Noronha Silva gns at gnome.org
Thu Jul 10 17:18:57 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 13:26 -0700, Nemix wrote:
> supporting JavaScript. Another part, platform-dependent, so called "port",
> is intended for communicating with network, rendering graphic content on the
> screen and other devices, event handling, and other features. JWebPane is a
> Java port, in which all cross-platform calls are implemented in Java."
>
> Does it mean that I have to develop two applications ? One for embedded
> systems and one other for Mac OS ?

No, unless you want to write the application for Mac OS using the
Objective C port which is native for Mac OS. Each 'port' comes with
everything you need. When the text says 'platform-dependent' there, it
is telling you that there is a 'port' which is specific for Java, as
opposed to the one which is specific for C/GTK+ - both will run in
multiple OS/Hardware combinations, though.

So yeah, you'll have a .jar for each OS/Hardware combination, but your
code should be able to remain the same.

See you,

--
Gustavo Noronha Silva <gns at gnome.org>