[webkit-dev] SquirrelFish Peformance

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Mon Jul 7 09:17:30 PDT 2008

On Jul 6, 2008, at 8:08 PM, KwangYul Seo wrote:

> 1) Bytecode size
>
> Is SquirrelFish bytecode compact? How much size reduction can I
> expect from normal JS source code?

The current form of bytecode is relatively compact compared to the
syntax tree representation. I'm not aware of a numeric figure though.

A persistent form of the bytecode would be even more compact, because
opcodes take an entire machine word, but in a streamed form they would
only need more like a byte each.

> 2) Compile speed
>
> I see the overall performance of SuqirrelFIsh is quite impressive.
> However, I want to know how long it takes to compile JavaScript
> source code to bytecode vs. how long it takes to execute the
> bytecode. I guess it is much faster than JIT compiler, but I could
> not find the exact number.

The performance benchmarks include both compilation and execution. We
don't have a separate compilation benchmark.

     -- Darin