[webkit-dev] WebKit Fails to build in XCode 3.1

Mark Rowe mrowe at apple.com
Wed Jul 2 19:50:58 PDT 2008

On 2008-07-02, at 10:54, Samuel Davis wrote:

> Hi Mark,
> While building WebKit with command-line in the Terminal, the output  
> shows lots of compiler commands but there is nothing in it that I  
> can identify as a compiler error.  So I tried a creative approach to  
> solving the problem by attempting to build JavaScriptCore.xcodeproj  
> in XCode.  The JavaScriptCore target built successfully without any  
> errors.  However, when I tried to build JavaScriptGlue.xcodeproj  
> within XCode I had numerous errors (53) as apposed to a single Error  
> when using the command-line.  Perhaps this suggest that there is  
> some inter-dependancies between the sub-projects (i.e.  
> JavaScriptCore, JavaScriptGlue, WebCore and WebKit) when building  
> WebKit, hence the reason for the build pearl script.

If you want to build from the Xcode UI you need to configure Xcode to  
use a shared build directory.  Without this set, Xcode defaults to  
placing built products inside a "build" folder alongside  
the .xcodeproj file which means that the JavaScriptGlue and WebCore  
builds cannot see the newly-built JavaScriptCore, and so on.

> Here is where the command that fails is first displayed the Terminal:
> CopyStringsFile /Users/samueljd/WebKit/WebKitBuild/Release/ 
> JavaScriptGlue.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/ 
> InfoPlist.strings English.lproj/InfoPlist.strings
>     mkdir /Users/samueljd/WebKit/WebKitBuild/Release/ 
> JavaScriptGlue.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj
>     cd /Users/samueljd/WebKit/JavaScriptGlue
>     /Developer/Library/Xcode/Plug-ins/CoreBuildTasks.xcplugin/ 
> Contents/Resources/copystrings --validate --inputencoding UTF-16 -- 
> outputencoding UTF-16 English.lproj/InfoPlist.strings --outdir / 
> Users/samueljd/WebKit/WebKitBuild/Release/JavaScriptGlue.framework/ 
> Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj

And this would be the error:

> Usage: iconv [-c] [-s] [-f fromcode] [-t tocode] [file ...]
> or:    iconv -l

A command displaying usage information is definitely not an expected  
part of the build process!

The only suggestion that I have as to why this command may be failing  
is if you have a non-standard version of iconv installed, either over  
the system copy in /usr/bin or earlier in your $PATH environment  
variable than the system one.  You should double-check if that is the  
case.  If it's not, you may need to make use of a tool such as  
ktrace,  dtrace, or a clever shell script to determine what arguments  
are being passed to "iconv" that are making things unhappy.

- Mark

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: smime.p7s
Type: application/pkcs7-signature
Size: 2413 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/attachments/20080702/1796c6e1/attachment.bin 

More information about the webkit-dev mailing list