[webkit-dev] memory consumption

Paul Pedriana ppedriana at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 14:08:07 PDT 2008

Regarding the TCMalloc being efficient with memory usage, I think that
the small block support in TCMalloc could cause that to be so, but it
still seems to me that the per-thread caches are going to necessarily
increase memory usage. So if you use TCMalloc with lots of small blocks
and a single thread then I can see how it would use less memory than
dlmalloc, etc.

What we typically do in the gaming industry is the following:
    - Shared generalized heap of classic design.
    - Small block heap for all allocations < N.
      This saves memory (except for pathological cases)
      and leads to improvements in fragmentation patterns.
    - Pack permanent allocations high in the generalized heap,
      and place non-permanent allocations low. If there are
      very many small blocks, then put the small block heaps
      high in the generalized heap. This leads to improvements
      in fragmentation patterns.

This should result in less memory usage than TCMalloc, especially in the
case of multiple threads. But it won't be as fast as TCMalloc if
multi-threading support is enabled/used. IMO, fragmentation is something
not to be underestimated, as it raises memory requirements and results
in reduced dcache efficiency (i.e. more misses).

However, once I get my owb build working I plan on directly comparing
the two approaches and producing a report for this group. If TCMalloc
performs well then that's great.

Thanks.