[webkit-dev] Pulling together on WebKit Mobile

Mike Emmel mike.emmel at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 10:54:19 PST 2008

I think one of the biggest stumbling blocks is the lack of a shared
workspace for development.

The patch approach is good for bugs but falls apart when multiple
people from different organizations are working on new code.

However I like the review process in place before code is included in
the main tree.

Git with its builtin ability to chain repositories easily makes a
sensible choice for solving this problem.

So I would like to propose that we have a public git repository set up
that has fairly lax commit rules.
This repo can track the main repository and we should bugs to
reference git branches in the development repository.

This will allow us to publicly stage development for inclusion into
the main repo and make it easy to upgrade bug reports as the head
changes.

And most importantly it would move a lot of intermediate development
out of private repositories and into
a sharable public arena.

Next it gives people a work history that can be reviewed when
considering allowing main repo privileges.

I think this approach will allow us to keep the main repository and
tree clean and foster the churn that makes open source development fun
and exciting.

Contributing to webkit is not a fun and exciting process at the moment.