[webkit-dev] Pulling together on WebKit Mobile

Alp Toker alp at atoker.com
Fri Jan 11 10:38:08 PST 2008

Hey guys,

There's a lot of mobile WebKit expertise in different organisations and
from various individuals, but we haven't really done much to put it all
in one place so far.

Would you be interested in sharing your findings, internal documentation
and patches?

Some things I'd like to see:

  * Build fixes for various lightweight toolchains integrated into TOT

  * Documentation of optional defines used in the WebCore loader and
elsewhere, like LOW_BANDWIDTH_DISPLAY and MOBILE

  * Build instructions made public (Scratchbox, cross-compilation etc.)

  * Compiler flags

  * Bug workarounds for different architectures and toolchains

I'd love to see what Naiem's team is finding and fixing in the GTK+
port, what tweaks the iPhone and Android engineers are using, and the
lightweight libc fixes from Peter, and Collabora's findings on the Nokia
internet tablets all in one place.

When patches get merged, the WebKit team will help you maintain them so
contributing code can help reduce the burden of maintaining ports and
build fixes out-of-tree.

I have some material I've built up privately in the last year on ARM
including benchmarks and patches that I'd like to start sharing too.

I do think we can get more done if we work together here. I've set up a
wiki page -- please edit this with your findings and suggestions:

   http://trac.webkit.org/projects/webkit/wiki/Mobile

You can register an account on the wiki here:

   http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/webkit/register