[webkit-dev] Regarding WebKit Support Libraries

Mike Emmel mike.emmel at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 10:25:36 PST 2008

I'd like to see a pretty much pure open source solution available for
all platforms.
By pure I mean down to the core windowing and libc level.

As far as porting curl to WinCE.
Found this.
http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2002-07/0085.html

A obvious reason to have this available is it makes it easier to support
new standards or get around show stopper bugs in closed libraries.

But generally its a philosophical issue.

Outside of designing the port to accommodate multiple solutions it
should not have a big impact.

In general we already have a problem on the Linux port because of the multiple
support libraries possible. Right now this means a number of
incompatible versions
of webkit need to be installed but 99% of the code is shared.

We potentially could have QT/wxWidget/gtk-x11/gtk-directfb/openstep
versions on one box.
and whatever Adobe is doing. On windows and OSX you add one more.
Plus later Googles stuff and whatever Sun is doing. Not to mention
applications like mail clients etc.

The lack of a shared core makes things troublesome even on the desktop.
So the code size argument is a subset of a larger shared code problem
with the current project.