[webkit-dev] Build problem

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 22:54:09 PST 2008

Hi,

I'm trying to build the wxWidgets version of WebKit on Mac OS X
10.5.2.  I have just updated my tree as of tonight and tried to
rebuild WebKit.  I got this error last week and thought perhaps the
issue was old files, so tonight I performed a 'make clean' in the top
level of the WebKit tree before executing
WebKitTools/Scripts/build-webkit --wx.  After ranlib issued warnings
about a large number of object files having no symbols (but linking
the library fine), I got the following error:

Package gtk+-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gtk+-2.0.pc'
No package 'gtk+-2.0' found
make: Nothing to be done for `all'.
Package gtk+-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gtk+-2.0.pc'
No package 'gtk+-2.0' found
Package gtk+-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gtk+-2.0.pc'
No package 'gtk+-2.0' found
make: *** No rule to make target
`/Users/hellings/Documents/build/WebKit/WebKitTools/wx/../../WebCore/config.h',
needed by `obj-gnu/wxwebkit_dynamic_ChromeClientWx.o'.  Stop.

Why it's looking for gtk+-2.0 is beyond me.  I also had received the
PKG_CONFIG_PATH errors relative to sqlite3, because the version that
comes with the Apple Developer Tools doesn't have a pkgconfig that I
could find anywhere, so I just installed the one from Darwin Ports
(doesn't seem related to the actual error, though?).  However, after
rerunning the clean and build after that installation, the above was
the error message I received.  It seems that the path to the config.h
is off by a single ../, as there is a
/Users/hellings/Documents/build/WebCore, but not a
/Users/hellings/Documents/build/WebKit/WebCore.

--Greg