[webkit-dev] CFNetwork

Brent Fulgham bfulgham at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 22:15:22 PST 2008

Hi Sam,

On Dec 14, 2008, at 9:54 PM, Gmail wrote:

> But when those callbacks are triggered, the caller is pointed to
> CFNetwork.dll. I can't find it under WebKit source code tree, system
> Windows directory at all. Is the CFNetwork open source as well and
> is the CFNetwork library platform independent? for example is it
> available for ARM?
>
> And I found some introduction to CFNetwork, http://developer.apple.com/DOCUMENTATION/Networking/Conceptual/CFNetwork/Introduction/chapter_1_section_1.html
> , but none of APIs are used with WebKit.

CFNetwork is a private Apple DLL, similar to the CoreGraphics.dll.
The sources are not available; furthermore, the binary used with
Safari is not redistributable, so you can't incorporate it into your
own projects (assuming you are working with a WebKit-based application).

You can get the last public release of the software from http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/10.4.11.x86/
, but I'm not sure how closely this version (circa Tiger) matches with
the currently shipping software.  Apple made the decision to close
releases of CFNetwork starting with Leopard, so the sources to more
recent versions are not available.

I would look in the WebKit sources (platform/network/cf) for specifics
of where CFNetwork calls are being used.  Specifically, the CFURL
calls are definitely used, so you may just not be looking in the right
place.

Good luck,

-Brent