[webkit-dev] Purpose of script debug-safari?

Jack Wootton jackwootton at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 09:14:52 PST 2008

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 4:43 PM, Adam Roben <aroben at apple.com> wrote:

> On Nov 27, 2008, at 12:58 PM, Jack Wootton wrote:
>
>> Apologies for the multiple questions, but this process seems to have
>> presented a few problems for me:
>>
>> Point 1.  I don't know if this is the best way to do it but I would
>> have thought most people load the webkit project into VS 2005, and
>> then attempt to run safari and debug it.  However the webkit project
>> cannot be loaded into VS 2005 without having already set
>> WEBKITLIBRARIESDIR.  So I don't see how debug-safari precludes the
>> need to set WEBKITLIBRARIESDIR.
>
> debug-safari sets the WEBKITLIBRARIESDIR environment variable just for the
> VS process it launches.

OK.

>> Point 2. I don't know what value the system variable WEBKITOUTPUTDIR
>> should have and can't find any instructions online, can someone help?
>
> http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/BuildingOnWindows#BuildingfromwithinVisualStudio explains
> this environment variable.

Great, thanks for this.

>> Pont 3. Running debug-safari in cygwin results in VS 2005 opening for
>> a second time even though I already have it opened with project code
>> loaded.  This seems odd since I end up with two instances of VS 2005,
>> one with project code and one with safari.exe listed in the project
>> panel.  Am I using the command incorrectly?
>
> The script is behaving as expected.
>
> Perhaps your confusion comes from not knowing that it is possible to build
> WebKit without opening Visual Studio. The instructions that start at
> <http://webkit.org/building/tools.html> take you from installing Cygwin
> through building WebKit and running Safari, all without opening Visual
> Studio. The debug-safari script is meant to complement this workflow, by
> allowing Visual Studio to be launched correctly for debugging Safari/WebKit
> without the user having configured his/her environment for the WebKit VS
> project files.

I built webkit without opening VS.  However I wish to step through the
code using VS.  What I don't understand is that using debug-safari
doesn't allow me to step through the code using VS because it launches
a new instance of VS which only lists the executable file.  This
brings me back to my original question of why use debug-safari?  Or
perhaps I could rephrase it as "how do I step through code by using
debug-safari?"  I can step through code, but only by NOT using
debug-safari.

--
Regards
Jack