[webkit-dev] Purpose of script debug-safari?

Adam Roben aroben at apple.com
Mon Dec 1 08:43:18 PST 2008

On Nov 27, 2008, at 12:58 PM, Jack Wootton wrote:

> Apologies for the multiple questions, but this process seems to have
> presented a few problems for me:
>
> Point 1.  I don't know if this is the best way to do it but I would
> have thought most people load the webkit project into VS 2005, and
> then attempt to run safari and debug it.  However the webkit project
> cannot be loaded into VS 2005 without having already set
> WEBKITLIBRARIESDIR.  So I don't see how debug-safari precludes the
> need to set WEBKITLIBRARIESDIR.

debug-safari sets the WEBKITLIBRARIESDIR environment variable just for
the VS process it launches.

> Point 2. I don't know what value the system variable WEBKITOUTPUTDIR
> should have and can't find any instructions online, can someone help?

http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/BuildingOnWindows#BuildingfromwithinVisualStudio
  explains this environment variable.

> Pont 3. Running debug-safari in cygwin results in VS 2005 opening for
> a second time even though I already have it opened with project code
> loaded.  This seems odd since I end up with two instances of VS 2005,
> one with project code and one with safari.exe listed in the project
> panel.  Am I using the command incorrectly?

The script is behaving as expected.

Perhaps your confusion comes from not knowing that it is possible to
build WebKit without opening Visual Studio. The instructions that
start at <http://webkit.org/building/tools.html> take you from
installing Cygwin through building WebKit and running Safari, all
without opening Visual Studio. The debug-safari script is meant to
complement this workflow, by allowing Visual Studio to be launched
correctly for debugging Safari/WebKit without the user having
configured his/her environment for the WebKit VS project files.

-Adam